1. Take your prescription drugs out of their original containers
2. Mix drugs with an undesirable substance, such as cat litter or used coffee grounds.
3. Put the mixture into a disposable container with a lid, such as an empty margarine tub, or into a sealable bag.
4. Conceal or remove any personal information, including your Rx number, on the empty pill containers by covering it with black permanent marker or duct tape, or by scratching it off.
5. Place the sealed container with the mixture, and the empty drug containers, in the trash.
Made you curious? Find more information and tips on pharmaceuticals in water or if you’re interested in learning more about a take back program in your area, leave a comment on this blog.
What else do you think would heighten awareness of this issue and keep drugs meant for your system out of the water system?