Hey Kids…Think Green For The Holidays!
By Wendy Dew
It’s about that time of year again when we are all making our wish lists for holiday presents. What if this year instead of wishing for things that are just for us…we wished for things that help the world around be a little bit greener? Imagine the difference we could make if we all greened up our holiday season. Here are some green tips for kids and families:
- give a gift that is made of recycled or reused materials
- decorate with recycled or reused materials
- volunteer during the holidays
- make home cooked meals and invite friends and neighbors over as a holiday gift
- combine your holiday shopping trips to save on gas
- wrap gifts in recycled or reused paper
- send recycled-content greeting cards
- buy a potted tree and plant it after the holidays
This is my favorite time of year. Not because of gift giving, but because we get to slow down a little and spend time with friends and family (and eat yummy food!). Let’s all enjoy the holiday season in a simpler, greener fashion this year.
For more green holiday tips
About the author: Wendy Dew has been with EPA for 14 years and is the Environmental Education and Outreach Coordinator for Region 8.
Editor’s Note: The opinions expressed in Greenversations are those of the author. They do not reflect EPA policy, endorsement, or action, and EPA does not verify the accuracy or science of the contents of the blog.
Editor's Note: The opinions expressed here are those of the author. They do not reflect EPA policy, endorsement, or action, and EPA does not verify the accuracy or science of the contents of the blog.
Please share this post. However, please don't change the title or the content. If you do make changes, don't attribute the edited title or content to EPA or the author.